Theo Derksen is a Dutch photographer who has received several awards including the Kodak Award, a Polaroid sponsorship, Weert Body_Art project. The Amsterdam Art Foundation Grant and The Limburg Art Grant. After studying Photography and Audio Visual Design he worked as a trainee with Magnum photo-grapher Ernst Haas before becoming a photojournalist for several Dutch newspapers and magazines. In 1990 he became an associate professor in photography and research at the University Zuyd Art Department in Maastricht, later on head of Visual Communications and member of the management staff Media Design and Technology. He has also been a visiting professor at many major European educational establishments. He is chairman of the board at Pennings Foundation Eindhoven and works also as curator and publisher.
Derksen likes to tackle large-scale and long-term projects on specific themes. His style is not only dependent on isolated images; instead, he prefers an accumulation of images which interact with text.
CV - short version
• Born in the Netherlands (Geldrop) on 09/07/1954
• Studies: Civil Engineering and later Photography (BA), Audio-Visual Design (BA) - St. Joost.
• Trainee with Magnum photographer Ernst Haas in Venice / IT (1981).
• Photography professor (part-time), Head of Visual Communications, Member of the managementteam Media Design and Technology at the University Zuyd / Art Department in Maastricht. Nl (1990-2015).
• Studies: Beyond Media (PA) and Inspiring Leadership (PA) - Erasmus University in Rotterdam. NL.
• Free-lance photographer since 1981.
• Chairman of the board at Pennings Foundation Eindhoven, NL.
• VUB university Brussels, Belgium.
• Fachhochschule Würzburg, Germany. BRD
• The Tianjin Institute For Fine Art at Tianjin. CN
• The Higher Institute For Fine Art at Antwerp, HISK. Be.
• TU Delft.
• Master-Class Noorderlicht Photo manifestation:
Theo Derksen, Anders Peterson [magnum], Ragu Rai [magnum], Robert Walker.
• Photographers Master-Class at Yuhang/Hangzhou. CN
PHOTOGRAPHS in collections - selected
• Museum W, Weert, Netherlands
• Limburgs Centrum voor Fotografie, Sittard, NL
• Collection Zuyderland, Heerlen, NL
• Kodak Collection, Rochester, USA
• The International Polaroid Collection, U.S.A.
• Bibliotheque National Paris, Paris, FR
• Foreign photographers Moravian Museum Brno, CZ
• Scheringa Collection, NL
• Dunhill Collection, NL
• City Counsel Yuhang, CH
• Private collections
GROUP EXHIBITIONS - selected
• 2019 Grand Canal Du Nord, Weert. NL
• 2019 Pennings Foundation, Eindhoven.NL
• 2018 Grand Canal project Hangzhou, Yuhang. CN
• 2016 Project Kind mijn Kind. Theo Derksen, Jos Wigman, Ernst Jansz, Maastricht. NL
• 2015 Art Issues Gallery Weert, NL
• 2015 Exhibition and publication. Selected Yuhang. CN
• 2014 Paris Photo, Espace Carrousel du Louvre, Paris. FR
• 2012 Limburgs Museum, Floriade, Venlo, NL
• 2012 Paris Photo, Espace Pierre Cardin, Paris. FR
• 2011 De Limburgers, Valkenburg. NL
• 2011 Art Walk, Eindhoven. NL
• 2008 Stedelijk Museum - OorzaakGevolg, Roermond. NL
• 2006 Friends to Be Denied. Foreign Photographers in the Moravian Collection.
Bischof, Bill Brandt, Brassai, Theo Derksen, Alfred Ehrhardt, Hugo Erfurth, Mark de Fraeye, Ralph Gibson, David
Goldblatt, Lewis W. Hine, Paul den Hollander,George Krause, Maurer Dora, Pruszkowski, Marc Riboud, Richter, Klaus
Rinke, Zofia Rydet, Saul Shapiro
• 2006 Foam_Fusion
Dorothee Bavink, Albert Brunsing, Theo Derksen, Dennis Moet, Jovelyne Moreau, Marin Roemers, Hannes Wallrafen