Theo Derksen is a Dutch photographer who has received several awards including the Kodak Award, a Polaroid sponsorship, Weert Body_Art project. The Amsterdam Art Foundation Grant and The Limburg Art Grant. After studying Photography and Audio Visual Design he worked as a trainee with Magnum photo-grapher Ernst Haas before becoming a photojournalist for several Dutch newspapers and magazines. In 1990 he became an associate professor in photography and research at the University Zuyd Art Department in Maastricht, later on head of Visual Communications and member of the management staff Media Design and Technology. He has also been a visiting professor at many major European educational establishments. He is chairman of the board at Pennings Foundation Eindhoven and works also as curator and publisher.
Derksen likes to tackle large-scale and long-term projects on specific themes. His style is not only dependent on isolated images; instead, he prefers an accumulation of images which interact with text.
• Born in the Netherlands (Geldrop) on 09/07/1954
• Studies: Civil Engineering and later Photography (BA), Audio-Visual Design (BA) - St. Joost.
• Trainee with Magnum photographer Ernst Haas in Venice / IT (1981).
• Photography professor (part-time), Head of Visual Communications, Member of the managementteam Media Design and Technology at the University Zuyd / Art Department in Maastricht. Nl (1990-2015).
• Studies: Beyond Media (PA) and Inspiring Leadership (PA) - Erasmus University in Rotterdam. NL.
• Free-lance photographer since 1981.
• Chairman of the board at Pennings Foundation Eindhoven, NL.
• VUB university Brussels, Belgium.
• Fachhochschule Würzburg, Germany. BRD
• The Tianjin Institute For Fine Art at Tianjin. CN
• The Higher Institute For Fine Art at Antwerp, HISK. Be.